Saturday 28 July 2012

That Is Not Pizza

Monday July 23'2012


12:12pm
Sitting in the living room, sipping chai that was given to me last in the company of three men, I can feel my blood begin to boil in this male dominated country. It didn't really bother me at first, it was more just surprising than anything. But the longer I am here, the more I am annoyed. Men are served first, men are spoken to, men participate women observe, men get 90 percent of the metro, women get 8 (not even 10 because men will still try to get on the lady's cart). Or maybe I'm just pissed off because today I won a draw for a 7 day five star vacation to Sri Lanka or Thailand from my Food Bazaar but can't claim it because I don't have a husband. Bullshit. Because I am not legally bound to a man I can't holiday in Sri Lanka. Fuck you Food Bazaar. Don't sell western food if you're not going to play by western rules. If you weren't so cute and convenient, I'd boycott the shit out of you. 


Last night I treated the house to a traditional Canadian date night. Pizza and a movie. Raj, Eddie, Akshee, Akanksha (no-name has a name now) and I all went to Pizza Hut! You have no idea how much I've been craving a good solid slice of pizza these days. But of course, this was no standard pizza hut. There would be no meat lovers, no hawaiian, but chicken tikka, and paneer el rancho...? This brought great sadness to me. Finally a piece of home and I still don't know what half the menu is. And everyone at the table is yammering over the menu in hindi, so for a girl treating everyone to "my people's" food, I just sat silently and let them call the shots (that took strength). After hearing their bizarre order, I had to break my silence. AND A CHEESE PIZZA PLEASE! (knowing pepperoni wasn't going to fly at this table). Two appetizers, a weird pasta salad, A giant cheesy bite crusted pizza, my cheese pizza, and five drinks all for $27.00. I fed (till we were full) five people for $27.00. Except the pizza had corn on it. This is why I need to come home. As we were leaving Pizza Hut, the manager came out and gave me one of their individual pasta bowls. Eddie had secretly asked him for a souvenir for me to take home. So now I have a Pizza Hut bowl from Delhi. But I'll be damned if corn even so much as touches the thing.
To end our western inspired evening, I took everyone to see The Dark Knight Rises. Five tickets, $19.00. For $46.00, I bought five people dinner and a movie. That means movie tickets here are less than $4.00 a piece. Josh, you would be in Heaven. The movie was the best I'd seen all year, the best I'd seen in a long time actually. Amazing. If Christopher Nolan can bring the sexy out of Anne Hathaway, there is nothing he can't do. I stayed silent the whole way home. They guys tend to discuss things into the ground and I didn't want to ruin my cinema high. I actually really wished my brother was with me for that one. He knows the proper way to execute a post film discussion. Besides, I was still trying to comprehend the sudden drop dead handsomeness of Joseph Gordon-Levitt. When did this happen? How long have I been in a foreign country, out of touch with reality and rising hollywood hunks?




Wednesday July 25'2012


11:30am
I am dying again. Pretty sure it's the plague from the metro priest. Losing your voice poses a challenge when your job is to teach 40 student classes all day long. And I have a really hard time trusting the 'pharmacies' here. First of all I saw one that was spelled 'Farmacy'. Secondly, there is no such thing as prescription medication, it's all over the counter. And considering that here, stores will refill old shampoo bottles with random shit and sell them as Pantene, or refill water bottles with tap water and sell it as purified (basically killing all white people) who knows what the hell would be in my Nyquil? Probably the real Pantene. Like musical bottles. 


Mukesh and I got in our first fight yesterday. We bicker now. It's cute. He swore my class was at 4:15 yesterday even though I KNEW it was at 4:30. Nope, he was right (typical). You're wrong Mukesh. Sure enough, my class was at 4:30 and we were 45 minutes early. So like any woman, I gloated all the way to my next location over the fact that I was right and he was wrong. And that that was strike one for Mukesh. Two more and he's fired. He looks at me and says "Ravy?" with a big smug grin on his face. And that's all he has to say (Ravy is 'it'). 

No comments:

Post a Comment